Good morning from Tuscaloosa where the weather forecast changed the schedule for the NCAA softball regional. Alabama faces Stanford at 10 am CT in the championship round but it will take two wins Sunday for the Crimson Tide to move into the super regional round.
Alabama lost to the Cardinal on Saturday before beating Chattanooga to qualify for Sunday. Keep it here for the latest from Rhoads Stadium. Refresh for the latest.
Game 2 live score: Stanford 2, Alabama 0
- Top: A leadoff single from Shultz was placed perfectly in the infield and the throw from short was late. Another single was followed by a sac bunt to put runners on second and third, one out. An intentional walk of Gindlesperger loaded the bases.
- Top: A leadoff single from the top of the Stanford order opens a crucial inning. A diving attempt just missed a line drive to short as the Cardinal have two on, no outs with the heart of the lineup coming to the plate. A sac bunt moves the runners to second and third with one out. And a deep fly from Stanford’s Kaneshiro went for a two-run double to make it 2-0 Stanford. It clipped the glove of CF Dallis Goodnight and would have scored at least one run either way on a tag up if she caught it. Goodnight then makes a diving catch for the second out to keep the runner at second. And a deep fly to the left ended the half inning with Stanford taking a two-run lead.
- Bottom: Jenna Johnson leads off with a walk to Alabama. Prange then crushed a line drive right back to the pitcher in a near-double play. Dowling then popped out to shallow right for the second out. And Shipman lifted one to center for the third out.
- Top: Fouts begins the inning with 61 pitches thrown. A line drive to short opens the frame and a fly ball to the right makes two outs. A nice play at short ends the top half.
- Bottom: A strikeout opens the inning with the bottom three spots in the order due up. Savannah Woodard reached on an error at third to put one on, one out. A fly ball to the right is the second out. Woodard was thrown out stealing for the final out and they head to the sixth, still no score.
- Top: A groundout opened the top half before a pair of one-out singles that didn’t leave the infield. The crowd erupted with a double play to end the inning.
- Bottom: Two quick outs for Alabama and a check-swing grounder to third ends the fourth. Still no score.
- Top: A lead-off single for Stanford is the first hit of the game for either team. A sac bunt moves pinch-runner Eck to second with one out. A grounder to third is the second out. And a pop fly to center ends the top half.
- Bottom: Woodard led off with a strikeout before Dallis Goodnight went down in the zone to lift a single to the right. That was the first hit of the game for Alabama. She was then called out for leaving early on a fly ball from Jenna Johnson. That put Johnson back at the plate and she drove a two-out single to the right. A walk put two on, two outs for Bailey Dowling. The sophomore slapped a line drive but right to the shortstop. Alabama’s stranded three runners in the first three innings.
- Top: A grounder to second opens the second as Fouts makes quick work of Stanford in the second. Shes’ thrown 33 pitches in two innings with 19 strikes.
- Bottom: Shipman led off with a hit by pitch and Lord moved her to second with a sacrifice bunt. Tow then grounded out to move Shipman to third with two outs but Bloodworth struck out to end the inning. Still scoreless.
- Top (Stanford): Montana Fouts will get the start after throwing 135 pitches earlier today. A lead-off walk and stolen base opened the game before Fouts got a strikeout. Both coaches took issue with the strike zone in discussions with the home plate umpire and we’re not out of the top of the first. Fouts gets out of the first with another strikeout and a line drive to third.
- Bottom (Alabama): Stanford pitcher Alana Vawter threw 2/3 an inning in Game 1 and allowed all four earned runs. She retired the Alabama order 1-2-3 in just eight pitches.
Game 1 final score: Alabama 4, Stanford 0
- Top: Jenna Johnson draws a one-out walk but that’s it. Stanford down to its last three outs or they’re playing another one today.
- Bottom: A one-out single wasn’t enough as Alabama got the next two outs to win, 4-0. Montana Fouts threw 135 pitches in Game 1.
** FIFTH PITCH OF GAME 2 will be 1:20 pm
- Top: Shipman sent a one-out single to right for the fourth hit of the game for Alabama. A walk puts runners on first and second, one out. Wow, Jenna Lord had a cue shot that was the definition of a seeing-eye single to score Shipman to make it 1-0 Alabama. Tow then hit a clean single to left to make it 2-0 Alabama. And pitch hitter KJ Haney drove a 3-2 pitch down the left field line to make it 4-0 Alabama. Patrick Murphy whipped the crowd into a frenzy after the play as life returned to Rhoads Stadium. A failed stolen base ends the top half.
- Bottom: Stanford put two on with one out but a pop out and strikeout ended the threat.
- Top: Two sharply hit balls to third went for outs in the first five pitches of the inning. And other grounder to short sits Alabama down in order. Still nothing on the scoreboard. Stanford hasn’t allowed a run to Alabama in 12 innings of play this weekend.
- Bottom: Stanford goes down in order as Fouts has 92 pitches through five innings.
- Top: Dowling draws a one-out walk and Jenna Lord moved her to second with a well-hit single to the right. Kaylee Tow then struck out for the second out and a grounder to short ended another threat. Alabama’s left four on base in four innings.
- Lim reached on an error to lead off. A fielder’s choice left runners on first and second and one out. The bases are loaded with two outs after a second error this inning. Wow. Stanford tried to steal home but was thrown out. A replay review confirmed the call. Still scoreless.
- Top: Alabama’s half spanned just five pitches with a pair of grounders and a fly ball to center. The Tide has two hits.
- Bottom: A beautiful diving catch from Savannah Woodard saved a hit to lead off the third. It started a 1-2-3 inning as Fouts finishes three innings with 49 pitches, 30 for strikes.
- Top: Bailey Dowling led off with an infield single and Jenna Lord moved her to second with a sacrifice bunt. A Kaylee Tow walked to puit runners on first and second with one out. But Bloodworth fouled out to the left and Woodard struck out swinging to keep the game scoreless.
- Bottom: Two singles have Stanford in business to begin the second. Fouts battles back for a strikeout on a 3-2 pitch. The second out came on a grounder to Fouts she underhanded to third to get the lead runner. And a slow roller to first ended the frame, still 0-0.
- Top (Alabama): Ashley Prange had a bloop single with one out but Shipman hit into a 6-4-3 double play on the next pitch.
- Bottom (Stanford): Montana Fouts is pitching for Alabama. Stanford went down in order as Fouts threw 11 pitches.